Using GrADS to retrieve HYCOM data

Mark Hess mhess at OCEANI.COM
Tue May 5 18:35:43 EDT 2009

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here?  At this point I'm just trying to get a file off of the HYCOM server.  I used the server http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/opendap/nph-dods/datasets/hycom/global/GLBa0.08_rect/data/2d/rarchv.2009_125_00_2d.nc.html to generate the URL string below, but am obviously missing something quite basic (I'm an inexperienced GrADS user and brand new to OPeNDAP). Will I need to create a custom .ctl file to access and display these data or am I simply using the sdfopen command incorrectly?

I am running GrADS version 2.0.a3.  My command and result are below.

ga-> sdfopen http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/opendap/nph-dods/datasets/hycom/global/GLBa0.08_rect/data/2d/rarchv.2009_125_00_2d.nc?mld[0:1:0][1750:1:2169][1500:1:2300]
Scanning self-describing file:
http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/opendap/nph-dods/datasets/hycom/global/GLBa0.08_rect/data/2d/rarchv.2009_125_00_2d.nc?mld[0:1:0][1750:1:2169][1500:1:2300]
gaopnc error: nc_open failed to open file
http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/opendap/nph-dods/datasets/hycom/global/GLBa0.08_rect/data/2d/rarchv.2009_125_00_2d.nc?mld[0:1:0][1750:1:2169][1500:1:2300]
read_metadata: gaopnc failed
gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
ga->

Mark
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dan Martin
  To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
  Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Using GrADS to retrieve HYCOM data

  The full HYCOM data is on a curvilinear grid that I haven't been able to
  make work in grads. They set up a linear grid for grads users by cutting
  off pre-gridded section above 48 degrees north.

  http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/opendap/nph-dods/datasets/hycom/global/GLBa0.08_rect/data/

  The update schedule is a bit irregular and the server is not alway up,
  but nice data when it is there.

  If anyone has the curvilinear grid version working in grads, any tips
  would be nice.

  Dan