OpenGrADS and the mfhilo command -- regrid2

Michael Fiorino Michael.Fiorino at NOAA.GOV
Tue Mar 31 19:09:49 EDT 2009

Tom et al.,

I've been working with Arlindo da Silva to convert my regrid2.f to a
user-defined extension accessible in both opengrads 1.10 (what we're
calling the opengrads version of grads1.9) and opengrads2.0.  that will
be a subject of a future announcement, but as a preview, we've found a
couple of (minor) bugs my old-style user-defined function regrid2.f and
in the user-defined extension re.c and we've made them produce the same
answers with the fortran version as an extension (called 're2') nearly
as fast as the C version 're'

to regrid2 users -- the bug is really minor and does not invalidate any
results using the current version.  the differences will only show up if
your output grid has a pole point and the differences are < 1%.

during this development process i have received a surprising (to me)
number of requests on how to use my user-defined extension 'mfhilo'.

this command is part of a set of user-defined extensions related
to tracking tropical cyclones (and other high/lows) in models.

i reached a milestone my development when i rehosted the
regrid2.f function to opengrads 1.10 and 2.0, and now i'm ready to
actively work the tracking extensions...

please be patient and when i have a version that i think is mostly
working, i'll make an announcement on this list.

thanks for your interest and

best regards,

mike

btw, i recently move to boulder here's my new .signature:

Dr. Michael Fiorino
Assimilation and Modeling Branch
GSD/ESRL/NOAA
325 Broadway
R/GSD1
Boulder, CO 80305

michael.fiorino at noaa.gov (work)
mfiorino at gmail.com (home)

+1 303-497-6379 (work)
+1 925-597-1921 (mobile)

GSD/ESRL/NOAA is the
Global Systems Division/
Earth Systems Research Laboratory/

Petroski, Tom (MLCI) wrote:
>  <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times
New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17
{mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;
font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none none;} @page
Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

>  Dear GrADS Users,
>

>  If it can be done, has any one used Mike Fiorino s mfhilo command in
OpenGrads and figured out a way to plot the H s and L s?  I currently
can do this in the COLA/IGES version of GrADS 1.8 using philo2.gs and
the user defined function clhilo.

>  Thank You,
>

>  Tom
>
>  _____________________________
>

>  Thomas J. Petroski
>
>  Merrill Lynch Commodities, Inc.
>
>  20 E. Greenway Plaza, Suite 700
>
>  Houston, TX 77046
>
>  Direct: 713-544-4214
>
>  Fax: 713-544-7931
>
>  Mobile: 713-679-8723
>
>  tom_petroski at ml.com
>

>  This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential
or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify
the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically
indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any
investment products or other financial product or service, an official
confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill
Lynch.  Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and
retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The
laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of
EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other
than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  References to "Merrill Lynch"
are references to any company in the Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. group of
companies, which are wholly-owned by Bank of America Corporation.
Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured  * Are Not
Bank Guaranteed  *  May Lose Value  *  Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not
a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any
Federal Government Agency.  Attachments that are part of this
E-communication may have additional important disclosures and
disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms
available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/.  By messaging with Merrill
Lynch you consent to the foregoing.