display error in windows version grads-2.0.a5

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 17 18:39:34 EDT 2009

Dear Windows Users of GrADS v2.0,

  Just a reminder: if you are using the Win32 Superpack of
grads-2.0.a5.oga.3 (ZIP version, the only available right now), make
sure to set your PATH variable as explained in the
"Getting_Started.html" document, in particular if you want to start
grads from the command line; see below.

  Also, users have reported problems with the wrapper VBscipts when
installing it on a directory with space in the name, say "C:\Program
Files".  Just install it on a directory such as "C:\WinGrADS" for now.

    Arlindo

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raj Kumar Sharma <rajkumar_62 at rediffmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM
Subject: Re :Re: Re :Re: Re : Re: display error in windows version grads-2.0.a5
To: dasilva at alum.mit.edu

THANKS. I installed grads-2.0.a5.og3-win32_superpack and set path for
the OpenGrADS/Content/Cygwin/Versions/2.0.a5.oga.3/i686
It is working. However path defined for OpenGrADS/Classic was somwhow
not working.
 FOR YOUR INFORMATION C:set command does not show any Display variable set.

Thanks

Raj

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:59:38 -0400 Arlindo da Silva wrote
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Raj Kumar Sharma
wrote:
> Hi,

We have a mystery at our hands...

> I am able to run GrADS Version 1.9.0-rc1 on the same machine without any
> problem. It opens the GrADS window. It also shows the Xming icon in toolbar.
> While that icon is existing, I try to open Grads v2.0.a3 in my office PC
> with  Windows XP. It shows Error in GXSTRT. Unable to connect to X server.

Do you really mean 2.0.a3 or a.0.a5.oga.3? Any chance that you have
the environment variable already set? Opwn a cmd.exe command window
and type

C:> set

and see if the DISPLAY variable is set.

> At my Home PC with Vista, I downloaded V2.0.a5 and there also I am unable to
> run Grads showing same error

Again, please check whether DISPLAY is set. Can you send a screendump
with all the error messages?

> If my antivirus (AVAST) is blocking, then it should block both versions of
> Grads.

Very true.

> Only difference in the versions, I see that in V1.9, we have many files in
> different directories such as Xming, win32, data, lib etc, whereas in
> v2.0.a3, we have only ONE directory with very few files (13 files) no Xming
> or data directory etc

You may have an incomplete installation in this case. Which package
exactly did you install? There is a *bin* package for cygwin that is
very bare, for people with an already existing cygwin installation.
It is explained here:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_v2.0_on_Microsoft_Windows

> These are the files in v2.0.a3 version of grads
> bufrscan.exe, cygX11-6.dll, cygncurses-8.dll, cygwin1.dll, grads.exe,
> grib2scan.exe, gribmap.exe, gribscan.exe, gxeps.exe,
> gxps.exe, gxtran.exe, stnmap.exe, wgrib.exe

I'd recommend you install the *superpack*.exe for 2.0.a3 (or a4). I am
yet to prepare this .exe for a5.

In any event, it would be better for us to focus energy on 2.0.a5 as
it is a lot more capabable. So, let's do something very basic:

1) Get the zip file for 2.0.a5.oga.3 and unzip it; install it under
C:, say C:OpenGrADS

2) Make sure you have the directories Contents/ and Classic/

3) Open a cmd.exe window (*not* a bash shell from cygwin) and

C:
cd C:OpenGrADSClassicbin
set
grads

Send me a screendump of this. There are several possibilities, let's
first diagnose the problem.

Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva