looking for script to find local min&max values for mean sea level pressure

Bill Reilly bill_reilly at COMPUSERVE.COM
Wed Mar 11 13:29:30 EDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:05:26 -0700, Pablo Romero <romero619 at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Hi,
>Im looking for a script that can find the local min&max values for a plot
for a given variable (using the 'max' & 'maxloc' functions I presume).

>Im trying to plot mean sea level pressure contours with 'H' and 'L' text
characters being drawn at locations where the pressure contours reach a
local min or max (i.e., closed contours).

>Does anyone have experience with creating this type of plot and already
have an existing script to find the x&y coordinates of where to plot "H" or
"L" characters for high&low pressure cells/zones?

>Thanks,
>P.Romero
>Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
>http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009

Check out the grads extension libmf.gex

http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/libmf/

mfhilo EXPR [METHOD[,OPTIONS]

This command finds maximun/minimum values in a 2-D lat/lon field, returning
the location and value between grid points via the GrADS script variable result.