SRTM topo data precise geolocation

Javier G. Corripio Javier.Corripio at UIBK.AC.AT
Mon Mar 2 07:22:59 EST 2009

Dear All,

I have used the srtm data for the Alps http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/topo/W020N90 to
extract heights for a set of given points.

It seems to me that the latitude is correct but the longitude is displaced about 0.02 degrees to the
East (about 10 grid cells).

This does not seem much, but it gives error of up to 1000m in elevation when we are in areas of
steep relief like the Alps.

I haven't made a thorough check yet, but that seems to be the case for quite a few points.  I
wonder if somebody has found the same problem or I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks a lot,

Javier
Javier G. Corripio
Faculty of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
University of Innsbruck
Innrain, 52
A-6020 Innsbruck
Austria