GrADS under Windows 7 RC

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 18 20:33:21 EDT 2009

Dear Win32 GrADS Users,

 As you may already know, the Release Candidate (RC) for the next Windows
Version 7 is freely available from Microsoft (as an evaluation copy until
next year.)  If you are one of those earlier adopters, you may want to know
that the Win32 builds available from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=290254&release_id=682062

works fine on Windows 7 with a small caveat: you need to manually start the
X server. Create an one-line *startx.bat* file with
    *start c:\opengrads\contents\resources\xming\xming :0 -multiwindow +bs*

and place it on your desktop. Click on it (just once per login) to start the
X server before starting any grads executable (or you can place it in your
startup folder to have it started automatically.) I'll fix this glitch in
the next release.

  As for Windows 7 I am not really a PC guy but this is the best Windows
I've ever seen. I am attaching a screen dump of Win32 GrADS running on my
EeePC netbook. Very responsive, even on this little machine.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu