batch command for creating movie

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 16 10:55:37 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Ryo Furue<furue at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Ben,
>
>  $ convert ss0??.gif  mymovie.gif

This correct, but the input files ss0??.gif need not be GIF, any
format supported by imagemagick would do:

$ convert ss0??.png mymovie.gif

(unfortunately, the PNG equivalent of "animated GIF" is not widely
supported.) The only problem with animated gif is that you do not have
control over the animation speed when viewing. For web applications it
is often better to keep the frames in individual files and use some
javascripting to set up and animation loop, e.g.,

http://portal.nccs.nasa.gov/cgi-d520_fp/geos5_wx.cgi?region=usa&dtg=2009061512&prod=precs&model=d520_fp&tau=000&&region_old=usa&dtg_old=2009061512&prod_old=vort850&model_old=d520_fp&tau_old=000&&loop=1

For powerpoint presentations I usually go with animated gif; for
viewing on my workstation I use the "animate" utility that comes with
image magick:

animate -delay 300 ss0??.png

ffmpeg allows you to create MPEG so you can create DVD's that would
play in your living room (and over the web if people have the right
codecs.)

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva