GrADS vs wgrib2

Derek Goring nztideman at YAHOO.CO.NZ
Mon Jun 8 17:48:44 EDT 2009

Using wgrib2, I can transfer the data from a .grb2 file into a sequential binary file, from which I can extract data using a simple Fortran or Matlab program.  However, wgrib2 takes an awful long time and the binary file it generates is large (~5x the size of the .grb2 file).

Alternatively, I can use GrADS to access the .grb2 file (via a .ctl file), just extracting the data that interest me.

But to my surprise, GrADS takes longer to do this than wgrib2 does to read and write the entire file.

Is there a better way?

Derek Goring