Fwd: Velocity Potential.

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 17 22:05:01 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arlindo da Silva <arlindo.dasilva at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: Velocity Potential.
To: Richard_anyah at ncsu.edu

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Richard anyah <roanyah at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does any one have an idea of how to compute velocity potential from RCM
> model outputs that is having a predefined domain i.e from lat (10S- 10N) and
> lon (20E -47E). I know "fish_chi" only function with global cordinates.

The classic algorithm "fish" implements requires a global domain. There is a
variational algorithm for doing such calculation on a local domain, but such
algorithm is yet to be implemented as an opengrads extension. I have the
references and a general idea of how this could implemented. We had a
volunteer earlier on to whom I sent the materials but never heard anything
back.

If you or anybody out there in gradsusr land would like to take on this
regional psi/chi project drop me a line and I'll get you going. Really, you
don't have to understand how to write opengrads extensions (I can help with
that), but you need some mathematical background and some programming skills
in C or Fortran. You could also prototype this in python or matlab. You can
work on Linux, Mac OS X, or even Windows.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu