Help using GRADS in parallel

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 07:56:21 EDT 2009

Pierre,
    We need to know the system you are running on. Version 1.8SL11 is old
(ca. 2002?) and unless you redid your own build, chances are it is getting
"out of sync" with the underlying system libraries. Upgrade if you can.
GrADS v2 is getting more and more stable with each new release. The builds
found at http://opengrads.org includes some useful extensions (e.g.,
regridding, shapefile support, poisson solver, spectral filters, etc) not
yet found at the official COLA releases.

   About parallelization, again you did not give us much detail. How exactly
did you start your 2 copies of GrADS? I m assuming you are on the same
*node*, attempting to start GrADS on different *cores*. In this case you may
be sharing the system memory with each instance of GrADS you run. Any chance
that you could be running out of memory? There are known memory leaks in
v1.8SL11, specially with templated netcdf/hdf-4 files.

  About starting several instances of grads concurrently. There are several
options to do that. Depending on your OS, starting 2 versions of grads in
the background from the shell (I am assuming a Unix like OS here)

% grads -lc 'run script1.gs' &
% grads -lc 'run script2.gs' &

will start each copy on separate cores. SGI's AIX on Altix processors would
even dish out processes across nodes this way; most commonly the
parallelization is done only within a single node. For going beyond a single
node I've written a simple perl client/server script to go across nodes
using mpirun (grads itself does not make use of MPI). I am attaching the
perl script for reference; type prund.pl without arguments for a manual
page.

If you are a python programmer, you could also also use the python thread
class together with pygrads for starting concurrent grads instances.

   Good Luck,

       Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva