Geostrophic wind from station data

Pauli Jokinen pauli.j.jokinen at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Jul 2 06:21:36 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have old sea level pressure observations from which I need to estimate the
geostrophic wind. I was able to plot the observations as station data only
to realize that I cannot create new variables such as the coriolis parameter
or the geostrophic wind itself in station data mode.

Is it possible to convert station data into gridded format like how computer
model data such as the GFS model forecasts are given, so that I could define
the geostrophic wind and calculate it for the area of interest?
For example could I interpolate the station data into GFS model grid points
using oacres, output the values somehow and then convert them into the
"real" gridded data format?

I guess I could do the whole analysis outside of Grads, but I figured it
would be faster this way as I'm not an expert in fortran.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

-Pauli Jokinen
University of Helsinki/Finnish Met. Institute
pauli.j.jokinen at helsinki.fi