Multiple Parameters on one Plot

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 16 12:42:43 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Henrique Barbosa <hmjbarbosa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Brian,
>
> What you are searching for is called pattern fill, but that is not
> available in grads.
> The only option available for filling a plot is color shading. Not dots,
> lines,
> stripes, etc...
>
> I have done that however, but using gimp.
>
> From grads I exported two images, one with the color shaded variable
> plotted,
> and the other with a second variable plotted using a solid contour.
> From Gimp I imported each image at a different layer, keeping the contoured
> one
> on top. Erased its background to let the bottom one come visible.
> Then filled it with a pattern, and then had grads merge both layers
> and save the composed image.
>
> Quite time consuming, but it worked for me.
>
> Another option could be using PyGrads to rely on python
> graphical capabilities.... Never done it, but maybe it has
> pattern filling.

And yet one more option is to use gxyat to create SVG instead of PNG and pop
that into a vector graphics application such as Adobe Illustrator or
Inkscape. The advantage of vector graphics is that you do not loose any
resolution.

If you know C, and are willing to learn the cairo library, you could extend
gxyat and allow the user to substitude specific colors with specified fill
patterns. Drop a note at opengrads-devel at lists.sf.net if are interested in
working on gxyat.

       Arlindo

--