help with GDS

Eric Altshuler ela at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Jan 14 16:33:54 EST 2009

Dear Dr. Robock,

To access data on a GDS, you need to use the 'gradsdap' executable, not 'grads'.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org
Phone: (301) 902-1257
Fax: (301) 595-9793

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Robock" <robock at ENVSCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:14:18 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: help with GDS

Dear friends,

My student, Anthony DeAngelis, and I are trying to use GDS for the first
time and have been unsuccessful.  Could you please help us?  The error
messages are not particularly useful.  Thanks very much.

We installed GrADS and Java on our machine and tried to read cumulus
precip from a GSFC archive:

[toine379 at control5 ~]$ java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gcj (GCC) 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

[toine379 at control5 ~]$ grads

Grid Analysis and Display System
(GrADS) Version 2.0.a3
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v2.0.a3 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds
Issue 'q config' command for more information.
Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga->  sdfopen
http://nsipp.gsfc.nasa.gov:9090/dods/_expr_{/CO2c20c/ens01/CO2_prs}{tloop(aave(precu,global))}{0:360,-87:90,1000:1000,00Z01JAN2000:00Z01FEB2000}
Scanning self-describing file:
http://nsipp.gsfc.nasa.gov:9090/dods/_expr_{/CO2c20c/ens01/CO2_prs}{tloop(aave(precu,global))}{0:360,-87:90,1000:1000,00Z01JAN2000:00Z01FEB2000}
gaopnc error: nc_open failed to open file
http://nsipp.gsfc.nasa.gov:9090/dods/_expr_{/CO2c20c/ens01/CO2_prs}{tloop(aave(precu,global))}{0:360,-87:90,1000:1000,00Z01JAN2000:00Z01FEB2000}
read_metadata: gaopnc failed
gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.

Alan

Alan Robock, Professor II
   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock