Resolution

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 15 13:35:59 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Steven <sweiss at iafrica.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a 0.5x0.5 resolution for GFS data. Ideally within a grid box,
> there could be a few towns and cities that I would like produce data for
> e.g. tmp2m at a fixed lat/lon. Is there anyway to get the resolution finer
> -
> say to 0.25x0.25 in order to get more values?

A simple, brute force way is use an interpolation function such as linterp()
or re() to defined your variable on a higher resoution grid, then work from
that defined variable. For this to work you have to create a fake.ctl that
defines this high resolution grid, e.g.,

dset fake.dat
options template
xdef ...
ydef ...
zdef ..
tdef ...
vars 1
var 0 0 dymmy
endvars

(the data file fake.dat does not have to exist.) Then,

ga-> open model
ga-> open fake
ga-> set dfile 2   (now you are in the fine resolution dimension
environment)
ga> define ts_fine = re(ts.1,0.25)

then use ts_fine in your plots. Another possibility is to use PDEF to have
this interpolation done on the fly, behind the scenes.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu