Build GrADS 2.0.a5 on Opensuse 11.1

Burn James j.burn at GEOS.COM
Wed Feb 11 11:00:51 EST 2009

Hi

I'm trying to build Grads 2.0 on a home PC running Opensuse 11.1 Linux.

I've unpacked the latest source code to home/grads2.0
Unpacked the supp files from data.tar into usr/local/lib/grads
Unpacked the supplib files from
ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/Supplibs/2.0/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu_supplibs2.0.tar.gz
to /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs

When I run configure as below, it seems to find the the supplibs folder,
(can see files such as readline.h), but doesn't find udunits.h and other
files needed to enable an opendap install.  I also had this problem when I
was trying to build on Opensuse 10.2 but I "got around it" by finding some
precompiled version of Grads which worked when I had the supplibs folder as
above.  However, now I'd like to be able to build Grads 2.0 myself now.
I've started looking through the configure file, which helped me work out
that I need to define the location of SUPPLIBS as per output below, but I
can get no further.

Help will be well appreciated, thanks

James
*******************

burn at linux-62ha:~> cd grads2.0
burn at linux-62ha:~/grads2.0> sh configure
SUPPLIBS=/usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs_cola

checking for gawk... gawk

Checking for programs
------------------
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl.exe... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking whether ln -s works... yes

Setting host specific options
-------------------------
Host machine: i686-pc-linux-gnu

Checking system libraries, headers, and compiler features
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for X... no

checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking sys/file.h usability... yes
checking sys/file.h presence... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes

checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for strtod... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no

Checking for optional feature support
------------------------------------
checking for supplibs directory... /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs_cola
checking whether to use dynamic linking... yes (Warning: binaries may not be
suitable for distribution)

Checking for libraries to support GUI interface ...
checking for main in -lXext... no
checking for main in -lXt... no
checking for XAW7... no
checking for main in -lXt... (cached) no
- GUI disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support command line editing ...
checking readline.h usability... no
checking readline.h presence... no
checking for readline.h... no

Checking in system locations for libraries to support command line editing ...
checking for a readline compatible library... no
- Command line editing disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support geotiff ...
checking tiff.h usability... no
checking tiff.h presence... no
checking for tiff.h... no
checking tiffio.h usability... no
checking tiffio.h presence... no
checking for tiffio.h... no
- geotiff disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support printim ...
checking zlib.h usability... no
checking zlib.h presence... no
checking for zlib.h... no
checking for main in -lpng12... no
checking for main in -ljpeg... no

Checking in system locations for libraries to support printim ...
checking for GD... no
checking for gdlib-config... no
checking gd.h usability... no
checking gd.h presence... no
checking for gd.h... no
- printim disabled (Warning: gxtran will not be built)

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support grib2 ...
checking for zlib.h... (cached) no
checking for main in -lpng12... (cached) no

Checking in system locations for grib2 libraries ...
checking grib2.h usability... no
checking grib2.h presence... no
checking for grib2.h... no
- grib2 disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support hdf4 ...
checking for zlib.h... (cached) no
checking udunits.h usability... no
checking udunits.h presence... no
checking for udunits.h... no
checking for main in -ljpeg... (cached) no

Checking in system locations for libraries to support hdf ...
checking for udunits.h... (cached) no
- hdf4 disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support netcdf ...
checking for udunits.h... (cached) no

Checking in system locations for libraries to support netcdf ...
checking for udunits.h... (cached) no
- netcdf disabled

Checking in supplibs for libraries to support OPeNDAP access ...
checking for udunits.h... (cached) no

Checking in system locations for libraries to support OPeNDAP access ...
checking for udunits.h... (cached) no
checking gadap.h usability... no
checking gadap.h presence... no
checking for gadap.h... no
- gradsdap (OPeNDAP/netCDF) build disabled

   GrADS 2.0.a5 : Built Wed Feb 11 15:46:34 GMT 2009 for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  +----------------------------------+
  |                                  |
  | Configuration Summary            |
  |                                  |
  |  - readline disabled             |
  |  - printim disabled              |
  |  - netcdf disabled               |
  |  - hdf4 disabled                 |
  |  - grib2 disabled                |
  |  - geotiff disabled              |
  |  - GUI disabled                  |
  |                                  |
  | Build Summary                    |
  |                                  |
  |  + grads enabled                 |
  |  - gradsdap (OPeNDAP) disabled   |
  |                                  |
  |  + Dynamic linking enabled       |
  |                                  |
  +----------------------------------+
configure: creating src/VERSION
configure: creating src/buildinfo.h
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: src/config.h is unchanged

Run 'make && make install' to build GrADS.
Executables will be installed to bin/ in current dir, unless prefix was
specified.