GRIB2 error

Wesley Ebisuzaki Wesley.Ebisuzaki at NOAA.GOV
Tue Aug 25 10:23:22 EDT 2009

P.R. wrote:
> Hi,
> Im getting the following error when trying to read a grib2 file:
> GRIB2 I/O Error: Predefined bitmap applies (ibmap=192)
>
> Can anyone please tell me what this means?
> Thanks,
> P.R.

P.R.,

       Bitmaps define whether a grid point has a defined or undefined
value.  To save
space, centers are allowed to pre-define bitmaps and only include the
number of
the bitmap in the grib file.  Of course, the center will have to make
the pre-defined bitmap
available by some other means.
      Predefined bitmaps can make the grib file harder to read because
some (many?)
grib libraries don't support pre-defined bitmaps.  (I've never seen a
file with a pre-defined
bitmap.)  One way to save space is to use submessages.  One copy of the
bitmap can
be used for many fields.

            Wesley Ebisuzaki