Questions and CD

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 12:26:34 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Christopher Blossom <
blossom002 at student.wcsu.edu> wrote:

> To all:
>

>      I have a couple of questions: when I use rc=write(Jan1979.ctl, dset
> Jan1979.dat), I get the following message: Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>
> 'write' not a variable or function name
>
> Error ocurred at column 1
>
> DEFINE error: Invalid expression.
>
> Why does that happen?

How much of the User's Guide have you read?

           http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/users.html

I suspect you are entering GrADS scripting syntax at the "ga->" command
line; this is a very common mistake we always make when we are starting with
grads. Review the User's Guide, there is a lot of useful information there.

> I am running grads OPeNDAP

There are some guidelines under

   http://grads.iges.org/grads/users.html

for submitting questions to gradsusr. These are important so that we know
exactly which version of the software you are running. For example, "grads
OPeNDAP" does not give us nearly enough information to know what you are
running.

> Additionally, I looked at http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/dods/NCEP_NARR_DAILY/197901/197901/narr-b_221_197901dd_hh00_000.info
>  and saw some asterisks.  When I put down d weasd3hr, I got the following
> error message:gancgrid error: unable to allocate memory for grtmp grid
> storage
>
>      grid size = xlen * ylen * zlen * tlen * elen = 28 * 28 * -999 * 1 * 1
>
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'weasd3hr'
>
>      Error ocurred at column 1
>
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>
>      Expression = weasd3hr.
>
> Why was that?

The error message "unable to allocate memory" means just that: your computer
is running low on memory. Close some applications or add some more RAM.
There is also some chance that there is a bug in GrADS that is causing it to
tun out of memory. We would need more information in order to diagnose that.

> Finally, I have the CD.

Hmm. CD? Which CD is that?  How am I suppose to know?

As a general rule,  I think it is very important for us to share our
knowledge with new users but there are some basic "Netiquete" rules that we
all need to be attentive to, e.g.,

  http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_nq_basics.htm

In particular, "research before you ask" and always review your message
asking yourself: am I providing enough information for someone to be able to
understand and ideally reproduce my problem?

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu