No subject

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 12 22:07:08 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Christopher Blossom <
blossom002 at student.wcsu.edu> wrote:

> To all:
>
>      This is Christopher Blossom e-mailing you on Sunday, April 12, 2009 at
> 7:41pm.  I am still lookinh at the documentation in depth and I have another
> few questions. What does Gaussian mean?

You are probably refering to "Gaussian Grids".  This is a special grid that
appears in conjunction with the so-called spectral methods. In a nutshell,
it consists of a uniform longitudinal grid and a non-uniform latitudinal
grid; the latitudinal gridpoints are determined based on the Gaussian
quadrature formulas. For more information, start here:

       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_quadrature

> What is a cray?

Long ago, we used to have a grads version for the Cray supercomputer,

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray

> What does endian mean?

I'll refer you once again to the Wikipedia:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianess

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu