netCDF to Vis5D+

Henrique Barbosa hmjbarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 25 08:59:13 EDT 2008

Luke,

There are new softwares from Unidata and University of
Wisconsin which were created on top of the vis5d libraries
and allow for the same 3D visualization. As this is new software,
it is fully support, has easy installation, etc... These are
McIDAS-V and IDV:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

More over, these guys will even download data automatically
from the internet on demand! Its very easy, for instance, to
read your model netCDF data and draw it over a satellite image.
Take a look at their website. There are plenty of documentation
and the developers are very accessible to answer users
questions. You could even arrange to have an online course,
or go to unidata for some training or have a training given
at your university (we just had one here in Brazil).

Cheers,
Henrique