compile GrADS on solaris x86

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Mon Sep 22 11:51:37 EDT 2008

Hi, Julie --

On Sep 18, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Julie Chen wrote:

> I'm trying to compile GrADS for our users on Solaris x86 system.
> But I
> got couple of problem, hope someone here would help out.
>
> First I tried to build GrADS-2.0.a3.  After install some of the lib it
> needed, such as gd, jasper, jpeg etc. The GrADS compiled and installed
> without any problem.  But people reported "segment fault error" during
> the script.  I'm not a GrADS user, so here is the information user
> sent
> me:
>
>     I just got a "segment fault error", and Grads is killed.  If I
> reduced the area of interpolation, the command to enter a endless loop
> then I had to control-C the script.  Maybe it is a memory problem.
>      I managed to make my script work by changing some settings.
> However, we have many many other scripts that won't work.

This is too vague an error report for me to be able to track it down.
I can't fix an error I can't reproduce. I would need to see the
script, simplified as much as possible but still reliably producing a
seg fault. I'd also want to see the complete text of a GrADS session,
and also perhaps some helpful output from gdb to see where the seg
fault is happening. Did you try Hoop's pre-compiled solaris builds
that we are distributing?

> Then user asked me to try build an earlier version of GrADS,
> grads-1.9b4.  I got following error during make:
>
> gcc  -g -O   -o gradsc  grads.o gxsubs.o gxmeta.o gxchpl.o gxcntr.o
> gxstrm.o gxwmap.o gxshad.o gaexpr.o gafunc.o gautil.o gagx.o gscrpt.o
> gamach.o bufrstn.o gabufr.o gabufrtbl.o gxX.o gxdxwd.o gd13gif.o
> latsnc.o galats.o lats.o latsint.o latsgrib.o latstime.o latsstat.o
> fgbds.o fgutil.o latsgribmap.o gagmap.o   gaddes-c.o gacfg-c.o gaio-
> c.o
> gauser-c.o -L.././supplibs/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
> .././supplibs/lib/libgd.a .././supplibs/lib/libpng.a
> .././supplibs/lib/libz.a   .././supplibs/lib/libreadline.a -lX11
> -ltermcap -lm
> gdCompareInt                        gxmeta.o

For GrADS 1.9, you need to link with an older version of the gd
library. Source can be downloaded here: ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/
Supplibs/1.8/src/gd-1.7.3.tar.Z

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA