compile GrADS on solaris x86

Julie Chen chenj at SSC.UCLA.EDU
Thu Sep 18 13:23:55 EDT 2008

I'm trying to compile GrADS for our users on Solaris x86 system.  But I
got couple of problem, hope someone here would help out.

First I tried to build GrADS-2.0.a3.  After install some of the lib it
needed, such as gd, jasper, jpeg etc. The GrADS compiled and installed
without any problem.  But people reported "segment fault error" during
the script.  I'm not a GrADS user, so here is the information user sent
me:

    I just got a "segment fault error", and Grads is killed.  If I
reduced the area of interpolation, the command to enter a endless loop
then I had to control-C the script.  Maybe it is a memory problem.
     I managed to make my script work by changing some settings.
However, we have many many other scripts that won't work.

Anyone know what might be wrong?  Here is the grads build information:

+=======================================================================
==+
   GrADS 2.0.a3 : Built Wed Sep 17 14:33:54 PDT 2008 for
i386-pc-solaris2.10

+=======================================================================
==+

  +----------------------------------+
  |                                  |
  | Configuration Summary            |
  |                                  |
  |  + readline enabled              |
  |  + printim enabled               |
  |  + netcdf enabled                |
  |  - hdf4 disabled                 |
  |  - grib2 disabled                |
  |  - GUI disabled                  |
  |                                  |
  | Build Summary                    |
  |                                  |
  |  + grads enabled                 |
  |  - gradsdap (OPeNDAP) disabled   |
  |                                  |
  |  + Dynamic linking enabled       |
  |                                  |
  +----------------------------------+
configure: creating src/VERSION
configure: creating src/buildinfo.h
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: src/config.h is unchanged

Run 'make && make install' to build GrADS.
Executables will be installed to bin/ in current dir, unless prefix was
specified.

Then user asked me to try build an earlier version of GrADS,
grads-1.9b4.  I got following error during make:

gcc  -g -O   -o gradsc  grads.o gxsubs.o gxmeta.o gxchpl.o gxcntr.o
gxstrm.o gxwmap.o gxshad.o gaexpr.o gafunc.o gautil.o gagx.o gscrpt.o
gamach.o bufrstn.o gabufr.o gabufrtbl.o gxX.o gxdxwd.o gd13gif.o
latsnc.o galats.o lats.o latsint.o latsgrib.o latstime.o latsstat.o
fgbds.o fgutil.o latsgribmap.o gagmap.o   gaddes-c.o gacfg-c.o gaio-c.o
gauser-c.o -L.././supplibs/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
.././supplibs/lib/libgd.a .././supplibs/lib/libpng.a
.././supplibs/lib/libz.a   .././supplibs/lib/libreadline.a -lX11
-ltermcap -lm
gdCompareInt                        gxmeta.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to gradsc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gradsc] Error 1

Hope someone here have experience with GrADS on solaris x86.  Or is
there compiled version I can download somewhere?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best,
Julie Chen
UCLA Social Sciences Computing