google map tile creation & cutting with GrA

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Sun Sep 14 09:04:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Angel Dimitrov
<stormlaboratory at yahoo.com>wrote:

>  Hello Arlindo,
>
>  Could you explain me in few words how these nice maps are created (
> http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=161773 ).
>
>  As I know Google Earth has some API functions. Do you call some subroutine
> to download the World map from Google and then to put it as a background in
> GrADS? Are these function a freeware or they are paid?

The screenshots above do not involve GoogleEarth at all. They were produced
with pygrads:

         http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS

For the dust example it is just a couple of lines:

% pygrads -b
..
[1] ga-> ga('sdfopen aero.nc')
[2] ga-> ga.blue_marble('on')
[3] ga-> ga.imshow('duexttau',cmap=gacm.hot_l)

The data file is here:
<http://opengrads.org/test_data/aero.ddf>aero.nc.
<http://opengrads.org/test_data/aero.nc>

The map background, which is bundled with pygrads, is the so-called MODIS
Blue Marble image available from NASA:

          http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2433

This is all free software.

      Arlindo