Either CTRL or REGRID

Morwakoma Matabane Morwakoma.Matabane at WEATHERSA.CO.ZA
Thu Sep 4 04:45:23 EDT 2008

I am running my programs on Grads version 1.8SLT on lunix platform. Recently I attempted to reconfigure the NWP mean sea level pressure displays on our local website. The script regrids from 2.5x2.5deg large domain (including surrounding oceans) to a much smaller 1x1 deg resolution without oceans. The following are the introductory settings within the script:

'open mslp_stddev.ctl'
'open z850_stddev.ctl'
'open z700_stddev.ctl'
'open z500_stddev.ctl'
'set lon 10 40'
'set lat -40 -20'
'define mslpsd=regrid2(slp_sd.1(t='month',z=1),1,1)'
'define z850sd=regrid2(z850_sd.2(t='month',z=1),1,1)'
'define z700sd=regrid2(z700_sd.3(t='month',z=1),1,1)'
'define z500sd=regrid2(z500_sd.4(t='month',z=1),1,1)'
'close 4'
'close 3'
'close 2'
'close 1'

and these are the errors the followed thereafter:

All files closed; all defined objects released
All GrADS attributes have been reinitialized
Error from regrid2: Error opening transfer file
  File name: udf.regrid.gfi
Operation Error:  Error from regrid2 function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
Error from regrid2: Error opening transfer file
  File name: udf.regrid.gfi
Operation Error:  Error from regrid2 function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
Error from regrid2: Error opening transfer file
  File name: udf.regrid.gfi
Operation Error:  Error from regrid2 function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
Error from regrid2: Error opening transfer file
  File name: udf.regrid.gfi
Operation Error:  Error from regrid2 function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
ctl file is :46

In the main script Iinitialised all the grads functions by declaring the three environment variables GADDIR, GASCRP and GAUDPT, added the path containing grADS executables. For the 850hPa the control file (1x1deg) appears as (pointing to the 2.5x2.5deg resolution),

dset $HOME/ENS_FTPSVR/z850_stddev.dat
undef -999.
title ENSPRCP
xdef    37 linear  -30.000  2.500
ydef    25 linear  -60.000  2.500
zdef     1 levels 850
tdef    12 linear  JAN00 1mo
vars     1
z850_sd   0 99 850Z
endvars

I really don't know whether it is the control file settings that cause the program not to compile.

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Morwakoma
NWP South Africa

This e-mail is subject to South African Weather Service e-mail legal notice, to view please vist:
http://www.weathersa.co.za/Legal/EmailLegalNotice.jsp