(missing font files)

Douglas Clark dbcl at CEH.AC.UK
Mon Oct 27 06:03:36 EDT 2008

Anna,

As you can probably guess, the error message is telling you that GrADS can't find the files that contains the fonts (characters) that it needs for labels etc.

At http://grads.iges.org/grads/downloads.html , it says:

"Supplementary Files
The font and map files are supplementary data sets that are required in order to run GrADS. Their default location is: /usr/local/lib/grads/. If you do not have write permission for this directory you can place the files elsewhere, but you must also change the environment variable GADDIR so the GrADS executables will know where to find these files."

Have you set the variable GADDIR? This is most easily done in your .bashrc (or .cshrc or whatever for the shell you're using), e.g. in bashrc add the line
export GADDIR=<add_directory_name_here>
to set GADDIR to wherever the font.dat files are.
It looks like it might currently be set to some relative path (../.../) which isn't correct for your current location.

If you are using someone else's GrADS executable, you can ask them where the font files are (and about setting GADDIR and maybe also GASCRP - see documentation). Or download your own copies, as detailed in the GrADS documentation link above.

Doug

>>> anna.zacharioudaki at PLYMOUTH.AC.UK 27/10/2008 09:18 >>>
Hallo,

I have installed GrADS 2.0 on Linux. Specifically,  I have downloaded the" RHEL4-x86-64" and the "source".

I am running a wave model called WAVEWATCH III, which automatically produces files for input to GrADS software. These have the extensions .ctl and .grads.

I am running the command:   grads -lc "run map2_1.gs". The script file is attached .

All seem to go fine but no labels/text is written around the output graphics. The error message displayed on the terminal is:

             >>error opening stroke character data set
                 Dataset names = ../.../font0.dat

If possible, could you please help me with fixing this problem.

Yours sincerely,
Anna

Dr Anna Zacharioudaki
Centre for Coastal Dynamics and Engineering,
School of Engineering,
University of Plymouth,
Drake Circus,
Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA