Grads answers different on different machines with same version...any idea?

Douglas Clark dbcl at CEH.AC.UK
Fri Nov 7 07:06:20 EST 2008

Bernd is right that you can use "options byteswapped", but this will not work if you try to use GrADS to read a file on the same platform that it was written on - which is a pretty common occurence - as  GrADS will ALWAYS try to reverse the order of the bytes.

Better to specify the "endianess" by writing
options big_endian
or
options little_endian
in the control file.

See control file > options at
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gadocindex.html

Doug

>>> bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK 07/11/2008 11:12:58 >>>
Mald,

you may be running into the problem of "endianess".

Your pc at home is little endian and your
work boxes are probably bigendian.

If your data files are not endianess aware,
you will probably have to add the option "byteswapped"
in your ctl file.

Good luck!
Bernd.

--
Bernd Becker   The Monthly Outlook
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter   Devon EX1 3PB  United Kingdom