pygrads and grads v2.0

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 6 00:22:09 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Meredith Croke <mcroke at airdat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to use pygrads for the main purpose of using blue_marble for a
> background image.  Once pygrads starts up, I am able to open a file and
> display a variable.  However, exchanging data with python or any of the
> examples after this in the Pygrads Interactive Shell does not seem to be
> working, including plotting a variable on the blue_marble basemap. When I
> follow the example for exporting an expression and type dd speed, I get the
> following response:
> raise GrADSError, "IPC extension not available - cannot import!"
> GrADSError: 'IPC extension not available - cannot import!'
>
> Is there any known problems with using gradsv2.0?  Any other suggestions as
> to how this can be addressed?

You need pygrads v1.1.0 and grads v2.0.a3 --- it will not work with previous
versions.  With this you can only *export* a grads variable, but not
*import* it. Therefore, you should be able to plot contours on top of a
blue_marble just fine. Try this

% pygrads -x grads -b
[] ga-> oo model.ctl
[] ga-> ga.blue_marble('on')