a track line on the map

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Tue May 6 18:35:46 EDT 2008

Xiaofeng Gong,

Please find attached a GrADS script "plot_cyclone_track-interactive.gs"
which I hope may be helpful to you...
The script is designed to prompt the user to define a rectangular area
within which to search for local extremes in pressure, vorticity, or
wind speed, and also to save the extreme values for labeling the track
points later.  This labeling is also interactive, and you also specify
scale factors and math formats for the numerical labels (e.g. "hPa" for
pressure, then set the scale to 0.01 to convert from Pa to hPa);  note,
it is up to the user to make sure the units and scale factors are
consistent with each other (units are placed in the legend).

Please let me know if you have any questions about the script and/or if
you find any problems with it, OK?  One thing I noticed is that it is
possible that two (or more) time levels may be plotted at the same (x,y)
location, so that in this case it may be messy to plot more than one
label... For now, code has been added to prompt the user on what to do;
note, the user will not be notified of an overlapping point until after
a label may have already been plotted there, so that for a stationary
cyclone, only the earliest time can be plotted... Please let me know if
you have ideas on this, OK?

Thanks,
Chuck

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily
reflect any position of the Government or NOAA."