Unstable (?) GrADS v1.9.0-rc1

See Hai Ooi axl419 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 4 00:20:16 EDT 2008

Dear Mr Arlindo,

     What does it imply if a problem is reproducible ?

     As some of my scripts involve similar methodology, I had spent the past few days to try to resolve the problem.  I found the solution but I am not very sure about the cause behind it.

     (1) In script 1, if I do not insert 'set lon 90' and 'set lat -5' before x'k' and I put 'close '1 after xbar, the reproducible error occurs [ e.g. data request error, invalid grid coordinates, varying dimension 0 decreses etc.].
     (2) In script 2, it is the same as (1) except that I put in 'set lon 90' and 'set lat -5'.  The output is found to be perfect.
     (3) In script 3, the 'set lon 90' and 'set lat -5' are deleted and the 'close '1 is moved to the end of the script.  The output is alright.

     I am aware that 'aave' of a parameter gives me a single value.  It appears to me that it needs a preset environment [like (2) or (3)] to ensure that the subsequent computation (after xbar) can be done correctly.  It may have linkage to the logic of computation as crafted by the developer.  Am I right ?

     For your information, my friend, Dr Hamza, told me that I need to insert "set lon 90" and "set lat -5" etc beforehand to ensure that aave gives correct result.  I tested it and found that it is not necessary.  But I used his suggestion to find out its impact on my test scripts of 1, 2 and 3 as attached in this email.  With the above information, grateful if you could kindly help to identify the cause of my problem even though I know I can use my script 3 safely.

     Best regards.

Ooi See Hai