Project idea: Mobile weather data acquisition in context of severe weather events - visualizing with GrADS

Stefan Gofferje gradsusers at GOFFERJE.HOMELINUX.ORG
Fri Mar 21 09:32:56 EDT 2008

Hei,

I am for quite a while working on a concept for a standardized mobile
weather data acquisition system consisting of multiple sensors (baro,
temp, windspeed, winddir, ...). The data from the sensors is to be
logged togehter with position, speed and direction information from a
high precision, high data rate GPS system. For the data, I thought about
recording intervals of 0.5 to 1 seconds and an XML-file format.

Part of this concept - for analysis - would probably also be the
visualizing of the data - for which GrADS would be pretty nice.
However, the question is, what would make more sense, converting the XML
to gridded or to station data? Gridded data would be nice as easy
comparism e.g. with model data would be possible but as the datasource
finally is a moving station (even if you have multiple and combine the
data), a big part of the grid would be empty. Regarding the station
data, I do not even know if it was possible to have a "moving" station.

Any comments, opinions, ideas?

Tervehdys Suomesta,
Stefan Gofferje

--
Since light travels faster than sound, is that why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak?