grads-2.0.a1 segmentation fault

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Thu Mar 20 12:28:54 EDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Steven Weiss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running grads 2.0.a1 on Suse Linux and every so often I get a
> segmentation fault. Its very inconsistent. The only thing I can see
> is that
> it is always during writing out a file. i.e. rc= write (filename,
> variable).
> From looking at the file, the variable data is normally only half
> written
> and the problem is not always in the same place.
>
> How can I go about identifying what the problem is?
Well ...
I can't fix I bug I can't reproduce, so you have to find a way to get
GrADS to seg fault reliably. Try putting some debugging statements in
your script so you'll know where it's dying, e.g. if it happens
during a loop. There are some known problems in 2.0.a1 that have
already been addressed ... what data type are you using?

If you've got a core file, you can try using gdb (gnu debugger) to
see where it died:
 > gdb grads
(gdb) core your.core.filename

Then gdb will say where in the GrADS code it was when it seg faulted.

Jennifer