Opengrads win32 superpack ZIP vs. EXE

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 5 21:55:39 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Eric Altshuler <ela at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hi Arlindo,
>
> I have been using an earlier version of your win32 "superpack" when it was
> only available as a ZIP package. Now you have both ZIP and EXE packages
> available. Are these exactly the same package (aside from how they are
> installed)? I'm wondering why the EXE is only about half as big as the ZIP.
> Other than being a smaller download, does the EXE version have other
> advantages?

They are exactly the same package. The ZIP is larger due to a less efficient
compression algorithm.

The self-installing ".exe" is the recommended package for Win32 GrADS --- if
you have the necessary privileges to install software on your computer.  I
was surprised to find out that many users have their computers "locked down"
and aren't able to install any software. For these users, I am making the
ZIP package available as well.

The automatically installer does a couple more conveniences besides
uncompressing all the necessary files under "C:\GrADS19":

1) It creates shortcuts in your [Start]/[Programs] menu
2) It register an uninstall option so that you can uninstall GrADS from the
Control Panel/"Add/Remove Software"
3) It can optionally add C:\GrADS19\win32 to your path

However, by construction, no other use is made of the Windows register, and
Win32 GrADS remains 100% relocatable. For example, you can copy the
C:\GrADS19\ folder to a memory stick and have a fully functional copy of
GrADS on the go. (Of course, if you would like to start GrADS from any
folder you would need to set the PATH yourself.) I have designed it this way
to allow me to include it with data DVD, such as those produced for
reanalysis projects.

Notice that if you preserve the integrity of the C:\GrAD19 directory tree,
you will never have to bother setting GADDIR, GASCRP or even
GAUDXT/LD_LIBRARY_PATH. All is detected and set automatically for you
(unless any of these environment variables have already been set, in which
case they are left alone.)

       Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva