VINT

Henrique Barbosa hmjbarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 3 10:40:15 EST 2008

Remi,

I guess you are right, grads do consider the portion below ground.
Moreover, it extends the value of the variable below your base level, ie.,
it assumes the value at z=1 to be valid between ps and the first level.

Here are my results to your proposed tests:

I took a random grid point of my model data, where:

z=2    975mb     8.389g/kg
z=1   1000mb    9.356g/kg
ps=1058.55mb

grads says that:

vint(ps,q,300)=17.3869 kg/m2
vint(const(ps,1000),q,300)=11.797 kg/m2

Well, as you said, the results are quite different:

17.3869-11.797=5.5899 kg/m2

But, if we take the second result and add the portion
between 1000-1058.55mb,  we get the first result:

q(1000mb) * 58.55mb * 100 / g = 5.58952 kg/m2

Moreover, in my example, the first two levels are:
1000mb and 975mb. This means that the separation
between these two is 987.5mb. Now look at these results:

vint(const(psmt,1000),uemt,300)=11.797
vint(const(psmt,990),uemt,300)=10.8177
vint(const(psmt,980),uemt,300)=9.96168
vint(const(psmt,970),uemt,300)=8.99535

and so on... Hence, I was wrong in my last email. What
grads really do is consider the full layers above ps plus
the upper fraction of the layer that contains ps. In case
ps is below the lowest layer, it extends this layer until ps,
by keeping constant the value of the integration variable.

I think that it is now settled... But I do agree with you
that the grads manual is not clear at all about this matter.

Sincerely,
Henriique