How to convert netcdf NCEP winds to grib format

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 20 07:49:51 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Jayakrishnan PR <prjayakrishnan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Grads users,
>         I would like to know how to convert the NCEP 17 level u wind in
> netcdf format to grib format using grads (or fortran).

I am assuming you mean GRIB v1.

> I am aware of the
> lats4d.gs, but by running that in my system with grads 1.9b4, I could not
> get the output. The  error message was like this.
>
> lats4d: this build of GrADS v1.9b4 does not include the LATS option
> lats4d: please try "gradsnc" or "gradshdf", version 1.7beta9 or later

Could you please send the output of

ga-> q config

> How to solve this problem.

If in fact your GrADS build does not include LATS, then you could install
one of the OpenGrADS builds of v1.9.0-rc1:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Linux/MacOS_X/Unix

> If anyone could help me in solving the issue it
> will be great help for me. I want to read the netcdf 17 level u wind values
> using a fortran source code and perform some calculations.

Reading your netcdf file in Fortran may be easier than reading GRIB-1.
Another possibility is to generate plain sequential binary with lats4d.

> That is my purpose.
> Kindly help me.

When writing GRIB v1 files, by default lats4d will generate its own tables
which are not compatible with NCEP's. Read the lats4d documentation for
additional information on specifying your own tables.
   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu