PyGrADS installation with Matplotlib 0.98

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at OPENGRADS.ORG
Thu Jun 12 10:42:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Kevin M Levey <klevey at customweather.com>
wrote:

> WED 11JUN08: 2230PDT
> Hi Arlindo
>
> I have been wanting to experiment with pygrads, and recently installed
> GRADS 1.9.0 rc1 and then went through the procedure of installing from
> source all the necessary items that you list on
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=579867. The
> opengrads extensions were also successfully installed. The reason for
> wanting to work with pygrads is to be able to use the superior
> graphics visualization and blue-marble base-maps.
>
> Everything seemed to compile OK on my 64-bit CENTOS LINUX server. grads
> 1.90rc1 works just.
>
> However, when I try and run pygrads I get the following error:
>
> weather:typhoon /usr/local/bin/pygrads-1.0.8 > ./pygrads
>
>   Welcome to PyGrADS, a GrADS-based iPython environment.
>
> Using existing pygrads rc file </home/weather/.pygrads/pygradsrc>
> WARNING: Loading of ipygrads failed.
>

> In [1]:
>

> It appears it is not able to load the grads and ipygrads modules. Any help
> would be greatly apreciated as I really want to be able to use the great
> functionality you have built into GRADS!
>
> I have three versions of grads installed - the primary grads is 1.9b4 with
> the binaries in the /usr/bin folders. Version 2.0a2 and 1.90rc1 are in
> separate development folders and was wondering if this is potentially the
> problem here.

There have been recent changes in numpy and in the Matplotlib API that are
not backward compatible and ended up breaking PyGrADS (and I suspect a bunch
of other similar packages as well). However, this refactoring was  necessary
for cleaning up some of the internals of the package. You can read more
about it here:

                       http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

I am pretty much done updating PyGrADS to cope with these changes but I
still have a couple more issues to deal with. The challenge is to have a
version of PyGrADS that works with the new and old Matplotlib, but I think
it can be done.

My suggestion for you would be to stay with the current version of PyGrADS
until I'm done with all the testing. However, we will need to patch it just
enough so that it runs. For starters, can you send me the version of
the following packages you are running:

numpy
matplotlib
basemap

To get the version number you  start "ipython" and then type:

In [3]: import numpy
In [4]: p numpy.__version__

and so on.  For basemap

import matplotlib.toolkits.basemap as bmap
p bmap.__version__

or in case you have the newer version:

import mpl_toolkits.basemap as bmap
p bmap.__version__

Here are the versions of these packages that I am using with PyGrADS 1.0.8
on my Ubuntu 8.04 box:

numpy: 1.0.4
matplotlib: 0.91.2
basemap: 0.9.8