shapefiles from http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/

Karin Meier-Fleischer karin.meier-fleischer at ZMAW.DE
Tue Jun 10 04:49:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have downloaded files from http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/ and have
problems to display it with grads.

For example, I downloaded the tar file 451.tar for Germany drainage, which
contains ArcView data. I converted the data to shapefile using ogr2ogr:

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" drainage dnpoint.e00

Now, I have the directory drainage which contains the following files

LAB.dbf
LAB.prj
LAB.shp
LAB.shx

When running the grads script only the data variable ts is plotted
but the drainage shapefile data not:

'reinit'
'open model.ctl'
'set lon 4 17'
'set lat 45 55'
'set gxout shaded'
'set csmooth on'
'set mpdraw off'
'd ts'
'shp_polyf drainage/LAB'
'printim test.gif white'

Any idea?

In the shape extensions documentation an object could be given to the
call of shp_lines and shp_polyf:

shp_lines SHAPEFILE [OBJECT]
shp_polyf SHAPEFILE [OBJECT]

What is the meaning of OBJECT?

Perhaps I misunderstand the handling with shapefiles within grads?!....

Ciao, Karin
Karin Meier-Fleischer             \\ Max-Planck-Institut fuer Meteorologie
Phone: +49-40-41173-431            \\   Abteilung Modelle & Daten
FAX:   +49-40-41173-476             \\    Bundesstr. 53
Email: karin.meier-fleischer at zmaw.de \\   D-20146 Hamburg
http://www.mad.zmaw.de/               \\  Germany