Compare diurnal cycles

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 28 22:10:26 EDT 2008

Hi Oliver,

It should be possible, but you didn't say what format the data is in.
If it is flat binary with a ctl file, make a new ctl with your center
point time instead of the report time (in other words, in the TDEF
line, change 00Z to 01:30Z, and in the other 00Z to 00:30Z). It all
should work, unless you have the hour templated in the file name.

If that is the case, or if you have grib or a self defined format, it
may not be possible to center the average directly. I haven't tried
changing the time in an DDF file, so I'm not sure that that would
work. One way would be to write a binary with lats4d (lats4d -i infile
-o outfile -format stream), then create the ctl with the center time
point.

The lats4d option may not work for single point time series in a self
defined format. It typically hasn't liked -lat and -lon being points.

I suggest creating a new ctl so that in the future, after you haven't
used the data in a while, it will be apparent in your scripts which
uses the centered average, versus the reported time.

Good Luck,

Mike