Grads and Grib2 g2ctl.pl Question

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 28 20:13:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Pablo Santos <pablo.santos at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Wesley:
>
> Got it. Creating the grb file with the option below and running it again
> through g2ctl did the trick creating the pdef line in the ctl file. I
> was able to do it with the version of grads (2) and wgrib2 I have in linux.
>
> However, I also often work with grads in windows/cygwin. I downloaded
> the latest version of wgrib2 for windows/cygwin I am using from
>
> ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/Windows_XP
>
> but it does not have the flag you are referring to below.
>
> Also, does anybody know if there is a compiled version of grads2 with
> support for grib2 for windows in the work?

The next release of Win32 GrADS due sometime this summer will very
likely include grads2/gradsdap binaries. In the meantime, search the
list as someone has contributed a grads 2.0.a2 binaries.

Also, Win32 GrADS v1.9.0-rc1 comes with an extension that allows you
to read grib2. At this point you are better off using it with perl
from cygwin.  Info on Win32 GrADS is here:

      http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Microsoft_Windows

The g2 extension is documented here:

     http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/grib2/

and comes bundled with Win32 GrADS.