Using Shape Files in GrADS

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Tue Jul 22 12:54:25 EDT 2008

This is a re-send of inquiry sent yesterday. Perhaps no one in user
community has actually used the shape file feature.  If so, then this is
intended for the person who contributed this function to v1.9.0-rc1 for
Windows.  All I need is an EXAMPLE or two of the correct syntax when an
"object" is involved, any additional required command arguments, and any
pre-requisite commands.

I had done a search of the user archives regarding shape files, but found
only my previous relevant questions and partial responses.

Thanks--
Stephen McMillan

Stephen R. McMillan/Planalytics
07/21/2008 02:05 PM

GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
cc

Subject
Using Shape Files in GrADS

I am able to display shape file polygons in GrADS. However, I would like
to be able to color-fill the component polygons according to a value, say,
temperature. Is this possible? If so, please share how to do it.

I can draw all the lines with the 'shp_lines....' command, and an
overall/inclusive filled polygon with the 'shp_polyf...' command,
specifying a single color with the 'set line...' command. However, I want
to be able to control individual shape poly fills within the inclusive
boundaries, such as states/provinces, of the shape file. I am currently
experimenting with the "admin98" set. The associated .dbf file contains 14
columns/fields of geographical data, including what appear to be unique
identifiers (US20, USA-KAN, etc.).

The command line output indicates the following syntax, with 1 to 3
arguments:
Usage: shp_polyf shapefile [object]

How do I specify the object? Is the object the 2nd argument? What is the
3rd argument, and how do I specify it?

The idea is that my script would read a text file as input, where
individual shapes (such as state/province boundaries) are associated with
temperature or some other variable.

I am using GrADS v1.9.0-rc1 (installed from OpenGrADS), on a Windows XP
platform.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.