New User

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 21 13:23:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Polar Low <polarlow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I`m a complete novice to grads. I have started to read the
> documentation but it was a little challenging, it seems more geared up
> for a university student or somone who already has a good
> understanding of it. I would like to use grads for creating
> meteorological products, such as nwp charts from grib data.
>
> Where would be a best place for me to learn how to do this, bearing in
> mind my "novice" status?
>
> I have the option to install grads on a windows or linux based pc,
> whichever it easiest for me.

I'd say *installation* is easier on Windows:

    http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Microsoft_Windows

Now,  on the Linux/Windows issue let's not start a holly war.  All
depends on your comfort level with them, and whether you can justify
the investment in learning something new. You can also install cygwin
on Windows for a very Linux like environment. Depending on the age of
your hardware, Linux can have a much smaller front print and feel much
faster, than say, Window XP.

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva