Using Windows-based GrADS to examine TRMM orbit data files

Mr Aaron Pratt aspratt2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 21 08:11:00 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to create plots derived from the TRMM 2A12 orbital product (it's the hydrometeor profile data) . It's not gridded data, but rather in orbital swaths. The files are HDF files, so that's why I thought that GrADS might be able to open them. However, I wasn't sure if the HDF files needed to be converted into a GrADS type file (like a .ctl file and the corresponding .dat file). I was told that the files could be converted through the following link: http://disc2.nascom.nasa.gov/data/TRMM/; however I don't see anywhere on the website where this is possible. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Aaron