precipitation accumulated diary 3B42 TRMM data

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 30 17:03:23 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 11:50 AM, Ranyére Nóbrega <ranyere.nobrega at sipam.gov.br>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> How can calculate the precipitation accumulated diary in  3B42 TRMM
> data, once do they belong to 3 and 3 hours?
>
> Does anybody have a script for that? I need for the whole data period.

Here is an example using command line lats4d for one month. The input ctl is
attached below.

lats4d -i 3b42_TRMM200407.ctl -o test -format grads_grib -time 00Z01JUL2004
00Z31JUL2004 8 -func "sum(@,t+0,t+7)" -vars p

I would suggest wrapping it in a csh loop for each month of the period.
However, it would also be possible to  put your begin and end time into the
-time option, and get all of the data in one file. That is not practical, if
you plan on updating your new daily data in the future.

The result should be 31 times in the output file, a sum over each day.

Also, please check the 3b42 documentation and do a unit analysis, so you
know what you get from this. This assume the input is mm/3hr, and the
accumulation is mm in a day. you can add scale factors inside the -func
option to suit your need.

 Good Luck! (ctl follows)

Mike

dset 3B42/data/3B42.01%m2%d2.%h1.6.HDF
dtype hdfsds
options template
undef -9999.9
xdef 1440 linear 180 0.25
ydef 400 linear -50 0.25
zdef 1 levels 1
tdef 248 linear 00Z01jul2001 3hr
vars 2
precipitation=>p  0 t,x,y precipitation
relativeError=>re 0 t,x,y relative error
endvars