lats4d

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 30 08:53:30 EST 2008

Thanks for the prompt reply Brian,

I realize and greatly appreciate the amount of work you, Jennifer and others
have done, with very little support. Grads is a great tool, hands down. And
I tell that to anyone who will listen.

I assumed that you all, as developers, would like feedback on what users
need to do. Lats4d fills a very important role in my work, and I expect
others as well. I wanted to pass on a point of view. Certainly, I'm not
trying to tell you what you must do, only providing feedback on the
capability that I find useful.

Now, as for what Jennifer said, there was a post that says lats will not be
supported. That was the impetus for my post. If I misunderstood, and there
will be lats4d capability in some way, I apologize for over reacting.

In any event, I also need to clarify my statement on the new NCEP
reanalysis. They will have 1000TB of Grib1 format data at NCDC (this is
still changing, as I understand). In Grib2, it comes down to 500Tb or so.
For what that's worth, it's still immense. I got the sense that they are
planning on grib1, because of the lack of utilities with grib2 capability.

Again, this is merely my opinion as a user, and I hoped the opinion and the
information would be useful to the developers.

Sincerely,

Mike Bosilovich