OpenGrADS extensions for v1.9.0-rc1

Brian Doty doty at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Jan 29 17:07:10 EST 2008

Hello everyone, we thank Arlindo for his initial work and ideas for
implementing GrADS User Defined Functions (UDFs) as DLLs and we plan
to include this capability in GrADS version 2 in the near future.  It
is important to note that we will be defining and documenting an
interface for UDFs for v2.  As we move GrADS forward we at COLA will
maintain this interface to insure that UDFs written to this defined
standard will continue to work with the COLA distributed releases of
GrADSv2.  We were hoping to have this work done before releasing v2,
but we felt it was more important to get the GRIB2 capability out
there right away.  (Due to the extensive code changes in GrADS v2,
any UDFs implemented for Arlindo's version of 1.9 will need to be
modified for COLA's v2 versions.)

We are also planning a number of improvements to the graphics, before
v2 is finalized.  Note that the gv utility will no longer work with
GrADSv2 output when these changes are made.  It is my understanding
that everyone has moved to Postscript and that gv is no longer needed
(?)   ....Brian