New Builds for GrADS v1.9 (Release Candidate 1)

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 27 14:30:38 EST 2008

All,

   First of all, these are not related to GrADS v2 that Jennifer just
announced, nor can these binaries read Grib-2.
   As an effort towards a final stable release of GrADS v1.9 we have posted
sources and binaries for a number of platforms, including the first Windows
build for v1.9 (more on that in a separate message). The files can be found
on sf.net:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=182392

This distribution has been prepared as part of the OpenGrADS Project (
http://opengrads.org), a sourceforge based activity dedicated to create
advanced extensions and interfaces for GrADS. This version of the GrADS
includes primarily bug fixes over v1.9beta4 (see ChangeLog), and the
addition of hooks to enable the new opengrads extensions and interfaces to
Perl/Python.

Although we started from COLA's latest v1.9 sources last Fall, the GrADS
core team at COLA is yet to review our changes for inclusion in the FINAL
(not Release Candidate) GrADS v1.9, as their focus has been to produce the
exciting new GrADS v2 release that was just announced. It is expected that
this Release Candidate (v1.9.0-rc1) will be pretty close to the final COLA
release.

We will make an announcement in the coming weeks about OpenGrADS extensions
and interfaces as we release these packages. As a sneak preview you can look
at some screenshots produced with the GrADS interface to Python (PyGrADS):

   http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=161773

And of course, all OpenGrADS development will be migrating to GrADS v2 now
that it is out.

   Enjoy,

    Arlindo

--