grib2ctl.p / grib problem

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.GC.CA
Tue Jan 8 19:41:14 EST 2008

Hi

.. not really a problem with grib2ctl.pl or wgrib .. but a problem with
data (maybe). But if I got Wesley's attention .. that's a good thing :)

I have a grib file (which I get from elsewhere) which consists of sigma
levels.  Using grib2ctl.pl (0.9.12.5p39c) and wgrib (v1.8.0.12o) it used
to generate a ctl file such as

zdef 58 levels
10000 9950 9850 ...etc (
vars 8
blah  58 ..

I'm not sure what has changed .. but now it decodes the file with:

zdef 1 linear 1 1
vars 408
blah10000 0, ...
blah9950  0, ...
blah9850  0, ...

that is .. what used to be 58 sigmal levels is now 58 different surface
variables.

Is there any settings I can pass to wgrib or grib2ctl.pl that will force
the old behavior.

tks

ron