Performance tuning

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Fri Aug 29 08:13:15 EDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

> Ivan Toman schrieb:
>> I see. Do you have some kind of bash script that loops through grads
>> scripts? My idea is now to put some timeout (sleep x) in the end
>> of each
>> loop step, so you may eventually avoid being killed by watchguard.
>> Or,
>> if you have one big grads script for everything, you can put
>> inside it
>> commands that will call external shell:
>> '!sleep x'
>
> This is a very good idea. I'll try this.
> Can anybody give me a hint on the cache control?
> I am using one big script and a big GRIB2 file AND quite some
> defines...
> How can I reduce the cache safely?
Re-evaluate why you need to use define for grib2 variables.
The 'flush' command will clear the grib2 cache without changing
anything else.
The 'reinit' command will release all memory, including the grib2 cache.
The maximum size of the cache is hardcoded in gaio.c:
#define MAXG2CACHE 500100100
You can change this to something smaller and recompile GrADS. At some
point, I will add a command-line switch to set the cache size on
startup, but haven't gotten to that yet. (The parsing of switches and
args on startup is a bit of a mess and needs a thorough overhaul).
Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA