Performance tuning

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 28 22:18:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Stefan Gofferje
<gradsusers at gofferje.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ivan Toman schrieb:
>> Hi Stefan, maybe little offtopic, but I think you will hardly survive on
>> shared server - that's why I recommend going with VPS (you can go cheap
>> as $20 for month), if you need advice contact me on mail. Other option
>> (IMHO, the best one, if you have decent down/up link speed) to make your
>> products at home and just upload images to the webserver.
>
> At the moment, the charts are 135MB and I am planning for some expansion
> in the future. This does not really make sense to transfer every 6
> hours. The delay would be too big.
> Hosting outside of Finland is not an option because the interconnections
> seems to be very slow here. Websites from abroad, especially overseas,
> are pretty slow here.
> My best option would be to somehow throttle down GrADS a bit.

Are you sure your problem is CPU rather than memory usage? There is a
lot of caching in grads v2 that tends to set your memory "watermark"
quite high (some of this you can control).  Are you running on a 32 or
64-bit OS?

It would be nice to have a side-by-side benchmark of v1.9 and v2 as a
way to identify possible bottlenecks we need to pay attention to.

      Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu