templates and fixed forecast times for different runs

Bill Bua Bill.Bua at NOAA.GOV
Mon Aug 18 17:24:50 EDT 2008

Hi --

I'm running GrADS configured as below (from the q config command at the
grads command line):

Config: v1.9b4_ncep 32-bit big-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf lats printim

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4_ncep
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Thu Sep 28 15:18:35 EDT 2006 for powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:

   o This is a 32-bit BIG ENDIAN machine version.
   o Command line editing (readline) ENABLED.
   o CIRES/CDC (http://www.cdc.noaa.gov) SDF/XDF interface ENABLED.
     Use sdfopen/xdfopen to read NetCDF files.
   o DTYPE netcdf is ENABLED; DTYPE hdfsds is DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) gridded data interface DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) station data interface DISABLED.
   o PCMDI (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov) LATS interface ENABLED.
     This version is configured to write GRIB and NetCDF files.
   o DAO (http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov) Athena Widget GUI DISABLED.
   o NRL/DAO/PCMDI XA or ImageMagick Image Output DISABLED.
   o printim command for direct png/gif output ENABLED.
     (via the GD Library -- http://www.boutell.com/gd)

and I'm having trouble constructing a template for files named as follows:

the year, mm is the month, dd is the date, and cc is the forecast cycle (00,
06, 12, and 18).

What I want to do is be able to look at the forecast error for all runs at
forecast hour 06, 12, 18, 24, and so on up to 180.

I thought I could set up a control file with a template like so:

pgbf06.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for six-hour forecasts)
pgbf12.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for 12-hour forecasts)
pgbf18.%y4%m2%d2%h2 (for 18-hour forecasts) and so on.

For pgbf00.%y4%m2%d2%h2, everything works fine.  I get weird distorted
graphics for the data for f06, and I suspect I would for f12, f18, ....

Here is the control file I've tried without success:

dset /global/shared/stat/pra/pgbf06.%y4%m2%d2%h2
index ^pgbf00.2008012400.idx
undef 9.999E+20
title /global/shared/stat/pra/pgbf00.2008012400 2.5x2.5 degr res
*  produced by grib2ctl v0.9.12.5p39a
dtype grib 2
options yrev template
ydef 73 linear -90.000000 2.5