SMTH9 Function

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Tue Aug 5 16:20:50 EDT 2008

The GrADS documentation provides the method for the 9-point smoothing in
the SMTH9 function. However, for 1-D data, it only says "If the gridded
data is 1-Dimensional, the result is a 3 point smoothing." Can any user
tell me what the specific method is? It does not appear to be a straight
3-point average, but some weighted average. I've tried various
combinations but haven't been able to duplicate the GrADS result.

I'm using SMTH9 within a GR2STN expression in a 2-D (lon-lat) field; x, y,
and t are fixed for each time step. Sample script expression:

'd gr2stn(1.8*smth9('var')-459.69,'lon','lat')'

I get a different result if I first re-define the variable as a smoothed
field (using smth9), and then run the expression without smth9. In this
case, the result equals the 9-point smoothing I would expect. Why the
difference?

I'm using version 1.9.0-rc1 (from OpenGrADS) for Windows, run on a Windows
XP platform.

Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.