Calculating LCL on plan-view plot

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 22:33:15 EDT 2008

All,

I am trying to calculate and plot LCL heights (in millibars) across an
entire WRF model domain. I am already accomplishing this on a point-by-point
basis using Bob Hart's plotskew.gs program, but would like to show the
heights on a plan-view plot.  Has anyone accomplished this?  I dug pretty
deep into the plotskew.gs code to determine how Bob calculated LCL heights
and I was able to adapt a portion of his script for my needs. Here is what
I've got so far...

'define tempk=tmpsfc+273.15'
'define dewpk=dptprs(lev=1013)+273.15'
'define Parta=1/(dewpk-56)'
'define Partb=log(tempk/dewpk)/800'
'define Tlcl=1/(Parta+Partb)+56'

'define Tlclk=Tlcl'
'define tempk=tmpprs+273.15'
'define theta=tempk*pow(1000/990,0.286)'
'define plcl=1000*pow(Tlclk/theta,3.48)'
'd plcl'

This seems to match up "poorly" with the LCL heights indicated on my skew-T
images, and is just plain horrendous when compared to the LCL heights shown
in Bufkit. Not that Bufkit is considered the correct solution, but I expect
to be within the ballpark with my calculations. In some spots I was off by
over 200mb.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Dan